Street Law is seeking a Program & Events Summer Intern for the summer of 2020. A primary responsibility of this position will be preparing for the 2020 Supreme Court Summer Institute for Teachers (June 18–23, June 25–30). The intern will also complete research, writing, and administrative tasks for other Street Law programs as needed. The intern is supervised by the Street Law Program Coordinator.
The essential functions of the intern include the following duties:
- Editing, preparing, and assembling Institute participant materials.
- Assisting with event planning and coordinating logistics
- Attending the Institutes (June 18–23 and June 25–30) and providing on-site logistical support (some evenings and weekend days required)
- Helping with a variety of projects in the Street Law office (may include Street Law’s diversity programs and/or other professional development for teachers and may be tailored to match intern’s specific interests)
- Communicating with institute participants, guest speakers, and venue staff
- Accompanying and directing participants at the Supreme Court, Georgetown Law Center, and other program locations
- Assisting with audio/visual and technology needs
- Must have completed one full academic year of an undergraduate degree by the start of the internship.
- Availability to attend Institutes in Washington, DC, on the following dates: June 18–23 and June 25–30 (some evenings and weekend days required)
- Attention to detail in proofreading and editing documents
- Strong work ethic, persistence, and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Effective, clear, and professional communication skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft products, especially Word and Excel
- A positive can-do attitude and a consistent customer service mentality
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve quickly and calmly at a moment’s notice
- An interest in law-related subjects, teaching, research, event planning, and/or non-profit work
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds with or without assistance for set-up and take-down of trainings
The intern will receive a biweekly $400 stipend. Street Law is also happy to provide support and documentation for students earning credit for this internship.
Other benefits will include the opportunity to attend the 2020 Supreme Court Summer Institutes (including a private reception at the Supreme Court and catered meals) and learn from leading experts in the field. Interns will gain experience in event planning, researching about legal issues, and general nonprofit operations.
The intern must be available to start on Monday, May 18, 2020. The internship ends on Friday, July 10. 2020. The intern is expected to commit 25 to 30 hours a week, but fewer hours are negotiable outside of the dates of the institutes. Street Law’s office is located in downtown Silver Spring, a short walk from the Metro stop. The Supreme Court Summer Institute will take place at Georgetown Law Center and the Supreme Court of the United States in Washington, DC.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and brief written response to following hypothetical situation (maximum 250 words) to Erica Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is March 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
- While participants and other staff are touring the Supreme Court building, you are tasked with setting up for lunch. The caterer is already 15 minutes late delivering the food and the program coordinator cannot be reached. What do you do?
1010 Wayne Avenue, Suite 870
Silver Spring, MD 20910