Street Law, Inc. is seeking a communications manager to promote and build the Street Law brand among key stakeholders, especially in the legal and educational communities. The communications manager will work closely with the administrative and program teams to develop and deliver communications to Street Law audiences in support of the achievement of our mission and organizational goals.
Who We Are
For 45 years, Street Law has been hard at work in communities and schools across the country and around the globe, developing programs and teaching materials that educate people about law and government.
We believe that when people have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to understand how law and government work, to advocate effectively for themselves and others, and to participate in civic life, their lives and society will be better.
We move the needle on our mission by helping others—specifically classroom teachers, the legal community, police officers, government agencies, and community organizations—be effective legal and civics educators.
Street Law has a broad menu of program and curricular offerings that all support the pursuit of our mission, which is to advance justice through classroom and community education programs that empower people with the legal and civic knowledge, skills, and confidence to bring about positive change for themselves and others.
We are a dedicated and diverse staff of 13. Our colleagues bring a great deal of enthusiasm and expertise to the table and enjoy collaborating to make Street Law’s programs and curricula the best that they can be. Our workplace is flexible and fun, and we strive each day to embody our core values of quality, transparency, inclusion, creativity, operational effectiveness, and nonpartisanship.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help deliver on our mission by:
- Designing and distributing communications that promote Street Law programs and resources to key audiences, grow Street Law’s networks, build credibility, and elevate brand awareness.
- Creating and maintaining internal systems to ensure communications efforts and content are strategic, timely, accurate, and effective.
- Ensuring Street Law materials are attractive and easy to use and find by working with the curriculum team to edit and format lesson plans and other curricular materials, designing graphics for use in lesson plans, and maintaining online resources for teachers.
- Inspiring people to support Street Law through contributions of money and time by collaborating with the development staff to create promotional content for fundraising campaigns and events and donor stewardship.
Who You Are
You are able to:
Communicate effectively with exceptionally good writing and editing skills and the ability to break complex ideas down into accurate, concise, audience-appropriate messages.
- Use social media, SEO, and other new media tools to achieve Street Law’s communications goals.
- Skillfully juggle competing priorities and create organizational systems that track multiple deadlines and projects smoothly.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn new things quickly, and stay abreast of both Street Law program happenings and important developments in the broader world of civic education.
You have 2–5 years of relevant communications experience. You see the big picture behind communications activities and use that view to make strategic decisions. You are a self-starter and creative problem-solver with an entrepreneurial spirit and skills. You can organize and motivate people to get things done, including those who are your professional superiors. You set high standards for your work. You have an eye for design, and, ideally, have some graphic design experience and a working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite. It’s a bonus if you love project management software and databases!
What Else You Should Know
Street Law is an equal opportunity employer. We make an effort to recruit people of color and people with diverse background and experiences to apply for open positions. We are headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC. We are convenient to the Metro’s red line and several bus lines. This position will be expected to work out of the Silver Spring office.
The annual salary range for this position is $51,000–$56,000. Street Law offers a robust package of benefits that includes medical and dental insurance, generous vacation and sick leave, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) retirement program with employer match.
How to Apply
Please send the following items to email@example.com no later than July 19, 2019 (incomplete applications will not be considered):
- A résumé and a cover letter describing your experience, qualifications, and interest in the position.
- A written response to the following task: Visit the newsroom on StreetLaw.org. Select one article and write a related tweet to push the article out to a broader audience.
Please include your full name and “Communications Manager” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.