Street Law, Inc. is seeking a part-time bookkeeper to provide essential support to our accounting and human resource functions.
Who We Are
For 45 years, Street Law has been hard at work in communities and schools across the country and around the globe, developing programs and teaching materials that educate young people about law and democracy.
We believe that when people have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to understand how law and government work, to advocate effectively for themselves and others, and to participate in civic life, their lives and society will be better.
We move the needle on our mission by helping others, specifically classroom teachers, the legal community, government agencies, and community organizations, be effective law and civics educators.
We are a dedicated and diverse staff of 13. Our colleagues bring a great deal of enthusiasm and expertise to the table and enjoy collaborating to make Street Law’s programs and curricula the best that they can be. Our workplace is flexible and fun, and we strive each day to embody our core values of quality, transparency, inclusion, creativity, operational effectiveness, and nonpartisanship.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help deliver on our mission by creating financial transactions, reconciling accounts, and working closely with staff on a variety of accounting and human resource processes. As a key member of Street Law’s administrative team, you will:
- Process accounts payable and maintain related files
- Ensure proper documentation of monthly credit card expenditures
- Process employee timesheets and maintain employee leave records
- Work closely with staff and be the point of contact for employee reimbursements and employee leave questions
- Maintain records of donations received and ensure Street Law’s compliance with state laws governing charitable giving
- Help administer and update personnel and accounting policies and procedures and performance assessment tools
- Design, conduct, and analyze results of annual staff satisfaction surveys
Who You Are
You have at least two years of bookkeeping experience, ideally in a nonprofit environment. You are comfortable using accounting software (preferably QuickBooks) and MS Excel. HR-related experience is a plus!
You are able to:
- Understand accounting principles and guidelines
- Prioritize tasks, organize and track information, and meet deadlines
- Work effectively with a diverse staff
- Communicate very clearly
- Have a customer service mindset
What Else You Should Know
Street Law is an equal opportunity employer. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and people with diverse background and experiences to apply for open positions. We are headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC. We are convenient to the Metro’s red line and many bus lines.
This is a flexible, part-time position of 18-20 hours per week @ $25-30/hour, depending on experience level. The bookkeeper will be expected to work out of the Silver Spring office.
How to Apply
Please send the following items to email@example.com no later than March 31, 2019. We cannot consider candidates who submit incomplete applications, so please be sure to provide all of the items requested below:
- A résumé and a cover letter describing your experience, qualifications, and interest in the position.
- A written response (250 words or less) to the following prompt: Why must a successful bookkeeper be able to play the role of detective in an organization? What are 2-3 soft skills that are helpful to a bookkeeper in playing this role, and why are they important?
Please include your full name and “Part-time Bookkeeper” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.