As students return to school this fall, Americans are dealing with a three-headed monster that threatens the health of our democracy—the global pandemic, racial injustice, and ongoing violations of democratic governance norms.
Street Law programs can be part of the solution.
For five decades, Street Law’s nonpartisan programs—now being conducted remotely because of the pandemic—have advanced justice. All Street Law programs work toward a common goal: equipping young people with the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to be civically literate and to improve their lives and communities through civic engagement.
However, in response to recent events in the United States, it has become clear that we must commit to a rekindled focus on building civic empowerment for young people in underserved communities.
Beginning this fall, with the support of donors like you, Street Law will implement a two-year Racial Justice and Democracy Renewal Initiative.
This initiative will recalibrate Street Law’s programs to ensure they are helping youth—particularly young people of color—attain the specific knowledge and skills they need to understand and protect their rights, engage deeply in discussions about contested public issues, and advocate effectively for reform.
The initiative will strengthen our democracy and contribute to racial justice by:
- Listening to youth and educators of color so that their voices inform our curriculum and program design.
- Producing relevant and empowering lessons that address racial justice issues and integrate race, identity, and the lived experiences of youth.
- Training educators to teach Street Law materials in a way that sensitively engages students of varying backgrounds and identities, including youth of color.
- Providing teachers with ready-to-use lessons, tools, and strategies to teach students to discuss contested public issues openly, honestly, and knowledgeably.
- Directly supporting aspiring young activists, working with them to map out plans to advocate for specific changes they’d like to see in their communities.
Street Law is dedicated to raising $300,000 over two years to implement the Racial Justice and Democracy Renewal Initiative.
To support the initiative with an individual donation Donate Now
If your company, law firm, or foundation would like to learn more about supporting the initiative, contact Lee Arbetman or Jennifer Whatley.