Teachers play an essential role in building civic agency and advancing justice. Their classrooms are the training grounds for developing a generation of informed, active, and engaged community members.
Acknowledging and celebrating the valuable contributions of teachers is important to us. Since 2005, Street Law has recognized extraordinary educators through our annual awards program.
We are excited to kick off the search for our 2022 Classroom Champion! We are seeking nominations of exceptional classroom teachers who:
- Use student-centered interactive methodologies.
- Use Street Law-developed materials in engaging ways.
- Further Street Law’s mission of advancing justice through education.
You may nominate yourself or someone else here:
The nomination deadline is January 7, 2022.
The teacher selected as the 2022 Classroom Champion (and one guest) will receive a trip to Washington, DC, to attend the Street Law Awards Gala on May 4, 2022.
They will also join this impressive line-up of previous honorees:
- 2021—Shiney Abraham, Alief Early College High School, Houston, TX
- 2020—William Scott, Armstrong High School, Richmond, VA
- 2019—Kelly Jones Wagy, Overland High School, Aurora, CO
- 2018—Mark Klarman, Vanguard High School, New York, NY
- 2017—Julio Garcia, Coral Gables High School, FL
- 2016—Andrea Fazel, Natomas Pathways Charter HS, Sacramento, CA
- 2015—Carlos Castillo, Roosevelt High School, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014—Lucy Ryder Duffey, Lake Mary High School, Lake Mary, FL
- 2013—Ayo Magwood, Cesar Chavez Public Charter High School, Washington, DC
- 2012—Susan Strickland, Friendly High School, Fort Washington, MD
- 2011—Janet Emond, Downers Grove North High School, Downers Grove, IL
- 2010—Joe Gutmann, Central High School Magnet Career Academy, Louisville, KY
- 2009—Lori Urogdy Eiler, Shaw High School Leadership Academy, East Cleveland, OH
- 2008—The Honorable James P. Swanger, District Court of Clark County, Vancouver, WA, and Kerry Sylvia, Cardozo High School, Washington, DC
- 2007—Laura Dym Cohen, Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles, CA, and Cathy Ruffing, Centreville High School, Clifton, VA
- 2006—Patrick McGillicuddy, South Brooklyn Community School, Brooklyn, NY
- 2005—Fred Cole, MAPS Alternative School, Marquette, MI
Contact Bianca Rizzio with questions about the 2022 Classroom Champion Award.