We are currently updating Street Law for School Resource Officers. A new edition will be available in January 2016. If you'd like to be notified when the third edition becomes available, please contact Lena Morreale Scott.
Street Law for School Resource Officers prepares school resource officers to teach legal topics in the classroom. Its lesson plans provide a practical understanding of law and the legal system while demonstrating positive interaction between police officers and other members of the school and community.
The 15 lesson plans are easy to follow and the interactive strategies that promote problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Group discussions and hands-on activities help participants explore the roles and responsibilities of both police officers and members of the community. The result is an open, two-way dialogue that builds the following:
- Understanding of the officers' role in the community;
- Ability of students and/or community members to voice their concerns;
- Empathy for the role of the police officers;
- Awareness of the needs of the public; and
- Mutual trust between police and students and/or community members.
Sample Lesson and Table of Contents