November 5, 2008
Silver Spring, MD
Each spring, Street Law, Inc. honors an exemplary law-related education teacher at the Annual Awards Dinner. Potential nominees include classroom teachers, school resource officers, law students, lawyers, and professionals from community-based organizations and juvenile justice settings.
The Educator of the Year Award, sponsored by Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, will be presented at the Fifth Annual Street Law Awards Dinner on April 22, 2009, in Washington, DC.
The criteria for selection are:
- A person who educates students in an exceptional manner, and
- who uses Street Law materials
The nomination deadline is Friday, February 6, 2009. The recipient will be selected by a committee comprised of Street Law, Inc. board and staff members and will be notified by Friday, February 20, 2009. To nominate someone, visit www.streetlaw.org/nominate.
If you have questions about this award and/or the nominations process, please contact Deborah Foster.
Past Recipients of the Educator of the Year Award
- 2008: The Honorable James P. Swanger, District Court of Clark County, Vancouver, WA
- 2008: Kerry Sylvia, social studies teacher, Cardozo High School, Washington, DC
- 2007: Laura Dym Cohen, adjunct associate professor of law at Southwestern Law School
- 2007: Cathy Ruffing, social studies teacher, Centreville High School in Clifton, VA
- 2006: Patrick McGillicuddy, social studies teacher, South Brooklyn Community School, Brooklyn, NY
- 2005: Fred Cole, social studies teacher, MAPS Alternative School, Marquette, MI
The Educator of the Year Award is proudly sponsored by Glencoe/McGraw-Hill
(Reproduced with permission)
Supreme Court Summer Institute for Teachers
Topic: Civic & Law-Related Education
Topic: U.S. Supreme Court