Read the summary of the Court’s decision in this case. As you read it, complete the following steps:
- Underline the sentences that explain the reasons the Supreme Court ruled against the university and for Baake.
- Circle the standard the Court applied when deciding whether race could be used as part of the university’s admission process.
- Put a star next to justifications (or purposes) the university gave for treating minority and disadvantaged students differently in the admissions process.
- Fill in the blanks of these sentences:
- In the 1978 Baakecase, the Supreme Court ruled that a university ____________________ (can / cannot) consider race in its admissions process.
- However, a system that uses ___________________ to reserve a certain number of spots for applicants who are from racial or ethnic minority groups is ________________________________.
- Write a paragraph to explain whether you agree or disagree with the Court’s decision. Be sure to write about the reasons you agree or disagree.