Analyze the cartoon below in terms of its meaning related to the Texas v. Johnson case. Answering the following questions will help you correctly interpret the cartoon's meaning.
- What do you see in the cartoon? Make a list. Include objects, people, and any characteristics that seem to be exaggerated.
- Which of the items on the list from Question 1 are symbols? What does each stand for?
- Who do you think JD Hayworth is? What are his views on the anti-flag burning amendment? If you're still not sure, visit his Web site or look for his name in this congressional vote count.
- What is happening in the cartoon?
- What is the cartoonist's message? Does he agree or disagree with JD Hayworth? In your opinion, how does he feel about the ruling in Texas v. Johnson?
- Do you agree or disagree with the cartoonist's message? Explain your answer.
The Arizona Republic. June 1995. http://www.esquilax.com/flag/cartoons.html